Dr. Andrzej Ancygier
Freie Universität Berlin
International Summer and Winter University
Dr. Andrzej Ancygier specializes in the topic of European integration with the focus on global and European energy and climate policy as well as social movements. Currently, he holds the position of Senior Energy and Climate Policy Expert at Climate Analytics in Berlin. He is also teaching European Environmental Social Movements at the Berlin subsidiary of New York University and European Environmental Policy and Politics at the FU-BEST. As a member of the ScientistsForFuture, Ancygier is contributing to the discussion about climate change mitigation in Poland and Germany.
In his Ph.D. dissertation Ancygier analyzed the implementation of the European renewable energy directives in Poland. Part of his research was done when working for the Executive Agency for Competitiveness and Innovation of the European Commission.
Current FUBiS courses:
- Global Challenges - Sustainable Futures (FUBiS Term III 2023)
- Since March 2015: Energy Expert at Climate Analytics (Berlin, Germany)
Deputy Head of the Climate Policy Team
Analysis of the impact of the transition to renewable sources of energy on climate change mitigation
Increasing the transparency of national contributions (INDCs) by contributing to Climate Action Tracker
- May 2013-December 2015: Research Fellow at the Hertie School of Governance (Berlin, Germany)
Analysis of Polish-German cooperation in the area of energy and climate policy
Coordination of a project dealing with the impact of the EU ETS on the profitability of the energy intensive industries (steel and cement) led by Climate Strategies
Organization of a conference about the governance of the European energy and climate policy
- Mar 2010 - Jan 2011: Employee at the EACI, European Commission (Brussels, Belgium)
Managing projects dealing with renewable energy financed with the framework of the Intelligent Energy Europe Program
Participation in the negotiations concerning financing of the projects
Overseeing the relaunch of the ManagEnergy website
Preparation of the methodology for the assessment of the Common Performance Indicators for the projects financed by the European Commission
- Jun 2009 - Jan 2013: PhD Student at Freie Universität Berlin
Research in the areas of European and Polish energy and climate policies
27 interviews at the European and national levels with, among others, representatives of different parties, members of the European Commission, representatives of different NGOs (Greenpeace, CAN Europe, EREF, EWEA, EURACOAL, EURELECTRIC)
- Oct 2000 - Jun 2005: Student of international relations at the University of Wroclaw, Poland
Political studies, focus on global problems and European studies
Last year spent as an exchange student at Freie Universität Berlin in the framework of ERASMUS Exchange Program
- Since September 2014
Lecturer at the Freie Universität Berlin European Studies Program (FU-BEST)
Teaching the course "Environmental Policy and Politics in Europe"
- Since January 2014
Lecturer at the Freie Universität Berlin International Summer and Winter University (FUBiS)
Teaching courses dealing with European integration, European economic policy, sustainability, and global problems
- Since September 2011
Lecturer at New York University Berlin (Berlin, Germany)
Teaching courses “European environmental policy” and “Social Environmental Movements” to international students
Organizing trips for the students to conferences and events dealing with the topics of the courses
- Energy and climate policy
- Climate negotiations
- Support mechanisms for the development of renewable sources of energy
- Functioning of the European Emissions Trading Scheme
- Implementation of European directives in member states
- Power market in Poland and other eastern European countries
- Teaching about European environmental policy
- Book Chapter ““Poland at the renewable energy policy crossroads: an incongruent Europeanization?” in Israel Solorio, Helge Jörgens (2017) A Guide to the EU Renewable Energy Policy, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2017.
- Report “Foot off the gas: Increased reliance on natural gas in the power sector risks an emissions lock-in“ June 2017 (with Jasmin Cantzler, et al.)
- Report “Faster and Cleaner 2. Kick-starting global decarbonization: It only takes a few actors to get the ball rolling” April 2017 (with Markus Hagemann, et al.)
- Technical Report “A stress test for coal in Europe under the Paris Agreement. Scientific goalposts for a coordinated phase-out and divestment” February 2017 (with Marcia Rocha, et al)
- Report “Pursuing the 1.5°C Limit. Benefits and Opportunities” November 2016 (with Michiel Schaeffer, et al)
- Technical Report “What does the Paris Climate Agreement mean for Finland and the European Union?” June 2016 (with Marcia Rocha, et al.)
- Book Misfit of Interests instead of the “Goodness of Fit”? Implementation of European Directives 2001/77/EC and 2009/28/EC in Poland, Verlag Dr. Kovac, Hamburg 2013.
- Paper “Possible ‘Contributions’ of European Energy Intensive Industries to the Global Climate Agreement”, Global Policy, Vol. 1, Issue Supplement s1, pp. 24-34, October 2014, (with Anna Serzysko).
- Paper “Poland and the European Climate Policy: An Uneasy Relationship“, e-Politikon, November 2013.
- Paper “A Common Renewable Energy Policy in Europe? Explaining the German-Polish Policy Non-Convergence”, ESPRi Working Paper No. 4, April 2014 (with Kacper Szulecki).
- Paper “Inverted Principal – Agent Model as a new tool to explain the process of implementation of the European directives in the area of renewable energy”, Paper for “Exchanging Ideas on Europe”, UACES Conference, Cambridge University, September 5-7, 2011.
- Book Chapter “Poland at the crossroad of the climate change and energy policy – a superficial Europeanization?” (with Karolina Jankowska), for the book A Guide to Renewable Energy Policy in the EU: When Europe ‘Greens’ Power. Publication pending.
- Book Chapter “Polish energy and climate policies under the impact of the EU” (with Andrzej Ceglarz), for the book Transformative power of Europe. Publication pending.
- Report “Does Local Energy Mean Renewable?“, ESPRi, June 2014 (with Kacper Szulecki).
- Report “Steel Report: Carbon Control Post 2020 in Energy Intensive Industries“, Climate Strategies, October 2014, (with K. Neuhoff, et al.)
- Report “Carbon Control and Competitiveness Post 2020: The Cement Report“, Climate Strategies, March 2014, (with K.Neuhoff, et al.)
- A number of journalist articles published in European, German and Polish journals and newspapers, i.e. EurActiv, new energy, IPG-Journal, Blog LSE, FocusOnline, European Circle.