Prof. Helen E. Hartnell
Freie Universität Berlin
International Summer and Winter University
Emerita Professor Helen E. Hartnell, Juris Doctor (J.D.), was a faculty member at Golden Gate University School of Law in San Francisco from 1997 until 2013. She was DAAD Guest Professor of Anglo-American Law at Freie Universität Berlin, Fulbright Visiting Professor at the University of Helsinki, and Visiting Scholar at the University of Cologne. Professor Hartnell has also taught at numerous other universities, including Tulane Law School and Harvard Law School. She teaches international economic law, European law, private international law, arbitration, commercial law, and courses offering a socio-legal perspective on law.
Current FUBiS courses:
- Law, Society and Politics in Comparative Perspective (FUBiS Term I 2020)
- Law, Society and Politics in Comparative Perspective (FUBiS Term III 2020)
- Ph.D. Candidate, University of California, Berkeley: Interdisciplinary Program in Jurisprudence and Social Policy (degree expected in 2018)
Dissertation Title: Institutionalizing Civil Justice in the European Union: Legal Elites and Ideologies in Transnational Governance
- 2002 - 2013
Professor of Law, Golden Gate University School of Law, San Francisco, CA;
Associate Professor (1997-2002)
Courses: European Union Law; International Trade Regulation; Private International Law; Sales; International Business Transactions
Moots: Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court; Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot
- October 2006 - March 2007
Guest Professor for Anglo-American Law (DAAD Gastprofessor für anglo-amerikanisches Recht), Freie Universität Berlin, Germany
Courses: Transnational Litigation in U.S. Courts; Equality and Non-discrimination Law in the United States
- 2004 - 2006
Visiting Scholar, University of Cologne Faculty of Law, Germany
- 2005 - 2006
Institute for International and Foreign Private Law (Institut für internationales und ausländisches Privatrecht) (Prof. Mansel)
Course: Introduction to the U.S. Legal System (WS 2005/06)
- 2004 - 2005
Law Center for European and International Cooperation (RIZ, Rechtszentrum für europäische und internationale Zusammenarbeit) (Prof. Horn)
Course: Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot
- August 1996 - May 1997
Visiting Scholar & Instructor, Harvard Law School, Graduate Division
Course: Legal Theory: The Canon of American Law (for thesis-writing post-graduate students)
- January - July 1996
Visiting Researcher, Harvard Law School, European Law Research Center
Visiting Associate Professor of Law, Southern Methodist University, School of Law, Dallas, Texas
Courses: International Business Transactions; European Community Law
- August 1993 - July 1995
Associate Professor of Law, Central European University, Legal Studies Department, Budapest, Hungary
Courses: European Community Law I (Institutions), II (Internal Market) & III (External Relations, Association and Accession); Advanced Contracts (International Transactions); Securing Payment and Performance; International Sale of Goods
- July 1992 - June 1994
Visiting Associate Professor (Civic Education Project), ELTE University Faculty of Law (Eötvös Loránd Tudományegyetem), Budapest, Hungary
Courses: The American Constitutional System; American Civil Rights and Civil Liberties; International Trade Law
- June 1992 - July 1998
Associate Professor of Law, Tulane Law School
Courses: International Business Transactions; Contracts I; Contracts II (Sales); European Community Law (Advanced)
- August 1980 - October 1981
Teaching and Research Assistant to Professor Dr. Dieter Giesen, Freie Universität Berlin, West Berlin, Germany
Co-taught seminar for German law students entitled “Introduction to the Anglo-American Legal System.” Independently conducted semester-long seminar entitled “Exercises in the English Legal Language,” which involved teaching torts, contracts, and legal research and writing to German law students, as well as organizing a moot court program. Research conducted in the field of comparative medical malpractice law.
- Helen E. Hartnell, Civil Justice as Governance in the European Union: Reflections on Civil Procedure, Private International Law (Conflict of Laws) and the Administration of Justice since the Roman Empire, Helsinki Legal Studies Research Paper No. 40 (2015).
- Helen E. Hartnell & Massimo Fichera, All You Need is Law: Italian Courts Break New Ground in the Treatment of Same-Sex Marriage, Helsinki Legal Studies Research Paper No. 22 (October 2012); 2(2) International Journal of Human Rights and Constitutional Studies 171 (2014).
- Helen E. Hartnell, U.S. Court of Appeals Rules on Effect of One Country’s Article 96 Reservation on Oral Contract Governed by the CISG, 4 Praxis des Internationalen Privat- und Verfahrensrechts (IPRax) 367 (2012).
- Helen E. Hartnell, Living La Vida lex Mercatoria, 12 Uniform Law Review 733-60 (2007).
- Helen E. Hartnell, Living La Vida Lex Mercatoria, in K.P. Berger et al. (eds), Zivil- und Wirtschaftsrecht im Europäischen und Globalen Kontext: Festschrift für Norbert Horn 355-376 (2006).
- Helen E. Hartnell, Belonging: Citizenship and Migration in the European Union and in Germany, 24:1 Berkeley Journal of International Law 330-400 (2006); also published in Symposium for Richard Buxbaum on Germany: Its Reconstitution and Its Reintegration into Europe and the World, Issues in Legal Scholarship (2006): Article 12, http://www.bepress.com/ils/iss9/art12.
- Helen E. Hartnell, EUstitia: Institutionalizing Justice in the European Union, 23 Northwestern Journal of International Law and Business 65-138 (Fall 2002).
- Helen E. Hartnell, Why (Not) Seek Uniform Solutions?, Proceedings of the 96th Annual Meeting of the American Society of International Law (2002).
- Helen E. Hartnell, European Integration through the Kaleidoscope: The View from the Central and Eastern European Margins, in William Armstrong & Noel Parker (eds), Margins in European Integration (London: Macmillan, 2000).
- Helen E. Hartnell, Sub-regional Coalescence in European Regional Integration, 16 Wisconsin International Law Journal 115-226 (1997).
- Helen E. Hartnell, The First Five-Year Span (1989-1994): Law and Religion in Post-Communist Hungary, 1996 Brigham Young University Law Journal 731-755.
- Helen E. Hartnell, Association Agreements between the EC and Central and Eastern European States, 35 Acta Juridica Hungarica 225-236 (1993).
- Helen E. Hartnell, Central/Eastern Europe: The Long and Winding Road toward European Union, 15 Comparative Law Yearbook for International Business 179-229 (Graham & Trotman/Martinus Nijhoff, 1993).
- Helen E. Hartnell, Rousing the Sleeping Dog: The Validity Exception to the Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods, 18 Yale Journal of International Law 1-93 (1993).
- Helen E. Hartnell, The New New International Economic Order, Proceedings of the 87th Annual Meeting of the American Society of International Law 462-470 (1993).
- Helen E. Hartnell, Reithmann & Martiny: Internationales Vertragsrecht, 25 International Lawyer 291 (1991) (book review).
- D.L. Uchtmann & H.E. Hartnell, Qualified Disclaimers of Joint Tenancies: A Policy and Property Law Analysis, 22 Arizona Law Review 987-1010 (1981).